Friday, July 17, 2009

Information overload

I was driving home from work after a particularly hectic Monday when my mind started wondering; not very healthy especially when you are supposed to concentrate on your driving when all around you there is this complete chaos that is known as Colombo Traffic. Incidentally, driving to and back from work seems to be the only time I get to relax and set my mind free these day. You'll know what I am talking about if you too had a 16 month toddler darting around the house and trying to eat out of the garbage can the moment you take your eyes off her.

Anyway,...

My mind was wondering... What's on Telly tonight? When will I ever get hold of HG2G? What happened to that Japanese Restaurant near Koswatte Junction? Which political party is Ranil in now? When will be the next T20 match that Sri Lanka plays in?...

While mulling over all those unanswered questions, I just happened to notice the sheer number of billboards that are on either side of the road. My God, it seems like just about every property had put up signs that seem to scream out for attention. Suddenly I found myself playing the spot-the-building-without-a-signboard game. And I was losing hopelessly. Can just about anyone put up a billboard? Don't they need approval from the local council or something? Something is seriously wrong somewhere. My relaxing drive home was not so relaxing anymore. I needed a break.

Just about then I realized my wallet had a mere 150 rupees of cash left in it. Few years back it would have bought me a good 2 litres of quality ice cream, but these days I'd be lucky to get a few "wadais" in exchange for that cash. So I decided to stop at the ATM that was 200 meters further up the road. Usually I hate to stop before I get to my destination, but this time I was glad to take a break from the unsolicited information overload I was getting from all those screaming billboards.
Ah, there is the ATM - and no queue either. I got down from the car and went straight into the enclosure. I took one look at the stickers pasted on the face of the ATM and exhaled with a long sigh.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to paste two stickers, virtually identical information on both, next to each other. Can you?

15 comments:

Sujeewa Kokawala said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sujeewa Kokawala said...

It's called banking. I hope I don't need to explain to YOU.

But just sit in a relaxing chair and let all those loaded memories of NTB, Sampath, Seylan, NDB etc run though your mind. [well many more for you.. as my innings lasted rather short in a hostile wicket]

How many times have you encountered similar irrationality in their offices?

::dr:: said...

A Sampath Bank ATM is out of order.. hmmm.. I wonder who was in charge of the development of these software which runs in Sampath ATM... ;)

- Dilan R

නුවර කුමාරි said...

Ok we'll think it as understanding the customer! Reading twice will be effective. ;o)

ya.. ya.... Customer care!

Bimmy said...

Yep,.. there was nothing wrong with the software...

Just that redundant signage.

Sujeewa Kokawala said...

Bims,

::dr:: is trying to theorize that the multiple notices are there due to the extent of failure. Whoops...
I'm struggling to find which side to support now.

Upeksha, the notices are not put there by IB to my knowledge. Your explanation is a typical IB action, where they always take the blame on bank's mistake, which is not their responsibility at all.

BTW, Sampath is not crashing lately right? Glad to hear. Someone said Panama was not built overnight, or was it for Rome??

Bimmy said...

Switch was built almost overnight. Then we camped out many moons at a prominent Bank in Colombo. Those were the days my friend...

The system is running like clockwork now.

නුවර කුමාරි said...

@ Sujeewa : ha ha ha ur quite right!!! Still I'm a TYPICAL IB girl ;o) he he he he he he (lolz). I think we can write "How to spot a IB guy" list now ;o)

Wht do u think Bimal?? he he he

Sujeewa Kokawala said...

Bims running as good as obsolete, why? [you can read this in two ways]

Upeksha, well, you missed some legacy as IB. In our times the literature was bigger than code. Some jokes may linger, but w/o the real characters they may not mean much to you.

Yeah Bims switch was written almost overnight. And of course remedy continued in heated bank sessions and lengthy extended hours.

But I thought Sampath was better than NTB. For an instance a legendary PM saved the planet with egg roti and a crafty perl line.

santhoshi said...

i sometimes feel like crying when i see the atm is out of order sign...

Bimmy said...

ATMs are a very important part of our lives these days, especially to someone like me who don't believe in carrying more than a few hundred Rupees in their wallet/purse. But so often we take it for granted.

I guess the theory here is that one sign will inform the customer. The second will drive home the point?

Sujeewa, when did the PM buy you egg roti?

santhoshi said...

http://santhoshidays.blogspot.com/2009/09/love-is.html

Sujeewa Kokawala said...

Bims,

Egg rotti was in a unique project plan by Ruchira, for a bank in York Street. Of all, that should be the only thing he planned ahead [you gotta know that you are buying egg rotti before you buy them] as the rest of the project plan was filled in a retro-respect view.

But for all the hells that broke loose in that decisive dark night, he saved it all with a single unique PERL line.

Rome may have taken many centuries, but that was their fault. Some guys save the planet overnight.

Sujeewa Kokawala said...

Bims, are you in Hunnas Falls. "Time stands still" in your blog.

If you want to see a taboo and different topic see mine;

Of Religion and lack of it

Bimmy said...

I've been away for a while and didn't get to share my thoughts much. Shall try to get into the thick of it as soon as I can.

Must read that blog when I have some time Sujeewa. I still haven't had the time to read even a single page of HG2G yet - I know,.. shame on me!